Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Being A Student

Although no longer a student of any official course at the moment, I continue to study in various ways.

It's an ingrained habit now. I have always been someone who questions everything, who searches for, and enjoys the challenge of, understanding. A naturally analytical mind has been encouraged to the point where I can happily analyse a paper bag! I can no longer read a book without a pen in my hand (or a handful of post-it notes if it's a library book) or read a newpaper of magazine without shredding it into individual articles, pictures or even paragraphs. My battered dictionary is an almost constant companion and my handbag bulges with various scrawled notes and lists of book titles.

Studying is very definitely a big part of my life, and I hope it remains so!

I do have direct, recent experience of being a student though, at the same time as being a Mum. An experience I wouldn't change for the world, though had you asked me at the time, you might have got a very different answer. I asked my daughter once, when she had been complaining bitterly about lack of funds for something or other: What do you think you could learn from this? (I was thinking along the lines of: Anything that is worth doing, is worth a struggle.) She thought for a moment, then said: To go to university before I have children!

So, studying continues, in a variety of ways (all of which now cost nothing!): I am helping with some research into the Family in the 21st Century, currently looking at Jungian Archetypes and Personality Typology ... fascinating stuff! I also indulge my ongoing interest in gender relationships on a regular basis. And now, I am studying studying!

I was a student ambassador at university while studying for my bachelors, and now I work there as a student mentor, although have had a far-too-long break, due to a back injury. I adore my job and because I work with students from different departments, I have developed a broad understanding of what it means to be a student.

This has been developed further while home-schooling my youngest daughter last year. I have found the subject of learning styles fascinating. I will definitely post some information about this, as I really believe it's fundamental to the subject of studying, and very useful to parents too.

Well, enough about me ... this blog is not about me, it's from me, I really hope I can be of help to those just setting out on a journey of student parenthood. But I thought it might be a good idea to let you know my credentials. And also let you know that it's possible to survive the experience! The truth is, even during the hard bits, I loved my time at university, which is why I now work there.

And as for studying, I simply can't get enough of it! Working hard now to pay off the fees for the final year of my Masters, then am hoping to do a PhD ...

Well, maybe when I retire!

If you have any questions, please ask and I will do my best to find you the answer, or someone else who can help! Comments and suggestions are very welcome. :o)

No comments: